Wild View Wet Plate Collodion Photography Workshop Tuscany
Wild View Weekend workshop on Wet Plate Collodion Photography in Tuscany, in a mountain farm on the Appennini Mountains, near the springs of the river Tevere.
Take part of this two-days weekend workshop on Wet Plate Collodion alternative photography for to learn how to make instant photos directly on the field like the pioneers of the 1800s were doing. Learn alternative photography while living in a mountain farm away from big cities, in the wild Tuscan mountain, nearby the springs of the river Tevere.
Wild View Photography Workshops takes you away from civilization, to study photography in the field, while experiencing a rural life.
You will be accommodated in a farmhouse while you can concentrate yourself on doing antique photography techniques such as wet plate collodion photography.
Michele Pero will be your tutor and teacher for these two days workshop. The workshop will allow you to operate on antique wood cameras for to make positive pictures on metal plates (ferrotypes) as well as glass negatives (ambrotypes.
With this program you will learn how yo do wet plate collodion in safety at home and to start your home made collodion production.
What should you bring
All materials and equipment needed are provided with the course fee. Students should arrive with:
- consider bringing a proper dressing for to protect yourself from staining (also shoes are at staining risk, consider a shoe change for to work safely);
- wear protective clear glasses for to keep your eyes safe while working with certain chemicals in the darkroom;
- bring a box of disposable PVC or butyl gloves of your size for to handle chemicals during the three days processes;
Accommodation on a farm: spend a weekend in a characteristic farmhouse in the Tuscan mountains in the Tiber Valley Apennines
The workshop lasts two days but it is not compulsory to stay overnight. Those who wish can spend the night here and take advantage of a relaxing weekend immersed in the greenery of the typical Tuscan Apennine area. There are several rooms, including doubles.
The Sant’Apollinare farm of Pieve Santo Stefano, near the springs of the Tiber river.
For this Wild View Large Format Photography Workshop we will be based at the Sant’Apollinare farm in Pieve Santo Stefano (AR). The farm is located in the Tuscan Apennine mountains. It resemble like an old borgo, still preserved as it once was, with its manor houses, outbuildings and all the rest.
It is located on a coast of Mount Castelsavino, a few kilometers as the crow flies from the springs of the Tiber river and the mountain village of Caprese Michelangelo, the birthplace of Michelangelo Buonarroti. The environment is wooded and is full of paths for lovers of walks in the woods. The Apennine ridge is about an hour and a half walk from the farm.
The farm raises horses that can also be a starting point both for taking pictures and for those who wish to go on horseback riding. The food is served by the farmhouse, so it will be pleasant to be pampered by the typical local cuisine.
Extra cost to stay two days
The all-inclusive price for these two days is 85 euros which will be paid directly to the structure once you arrive on site. Includes: Saturday lunch and dinner, overnight stay, breakfast and Sunday lunch.
Program of the Wild View Wet Plate Collodion Photography Workshop Tuscany
- Collodion, what’s this unknown and old photographic process
- theory and formulas for wet plate collodion
- chemistry preparation
- introduction to wet plate cameras, modern and vintage, and to the use of the portable darkroom
- sample tests shooting with tintypes in the studio
- how to use flash light for studio photography
- shooting sessions in outdoor with wet plates and portable darkroom
- making of tintypes and ambrotypes (glass negatives)
- fine tuning glass negatives for alternative photography printing
- final feedback and greetings
Applications open on thedarkroom.it website (available only on the Italian language site)
This alternative process workshop is managed by the guys at TheDarkroom Academy. When you click the button ‘Register” a redirection to thedarkroom.it website for to complete registration will occur. More information on this program are available there. Click with confidence.
Please message me for any inquiry. Thanks.