Wet Plate Collodion Photography Workshop Umbria
This is the three-days workshop Wet Plate Collodion Photography Umbria and Salt Paper Printing, which takes place in Città di Castello, Tiber Valley, Umbria, Italy.
A three-days full-immersion hands-on workshop to be held in the Umbrian Tiber Valley, during which you will practice the wet plate collodion photography and the salt printing process on your own.
Every student (max 6) will operate on a 9×12 cm to 18×24 cm camera to make some shots per day each, and get some salt prints to be made during the last day of workshop.
You will go back home with at least some good tintypes, some glass negatives and good salt prints.
This workshop of alternative photographic processes will also deliver a know-how to work with a portable darkroom for field wet-plate collodion photography. You will also challenge yourself with studio lighting for indoor portraiture photography.
What will you learn at the end of these three-days alternative processes workshop in Umbria?
At the end of this program on wet plate collodion photography you will have acquired notions on use of chemicals, formulas for wet plate collodion, safety measures to handle chemicals and materials, procedures for preparing wet plates on your own and to get them developed and fully finished.
With the studio and field photography program you will understand the necessary gears for to carry out wet plate collodion indoor and how to make a portable darkroom on your own for to carry out the same technique in the field.
During the last day you will learn how to prepare good negatives suitable for the salt paper printing technique and you will make some salt prints from scratches.
All materials and equipment needed are provided with the course fee. Students should arrive with:
- consider bringing a proper dressing for to protect yourself from staining (also shoes are at staining risk, consider a shoe change for to work safely);
- wear protective clear glasses for to keep your eyes safe while working with certain chemicals in the darkroom;
- bring a box of disposable latex gloves of your size for to handle chemicals during the three days processes;
Accommodation is up to each participant. B&B, country houses, hotels are available nearby the workshop location. Ask us for more information.
This alternative process workshop is managed by the guys at TheDarkroom Academy. When you click the button ‘Register” a redirection to thedarkroom.it website for to complete registration will occur.
Program of the three-days Wet Plate Collodion Photography Workshop Umbria
- Collodion, what’s this unknown and old photographic process
- theory and formulas for wet plate collodion
- chemistry preparation
- introduction to wet plate cameras, modern and vintage, and to the use of the portable darkroom
- sample tests shooting with tintypes in the studio
- how to use flash light for studio photography
- all day long working on shooting in outdoor with wet plates and portable darkroom
- making of tintypes and ambrotypes (glass negatives)
- fine tuning glass negatives for salt paper printing
- salt paper preparation
- printing out glass negatives on salt paper