Alternative Photography Workshop Umbria | Wet Plate Collodion and Salted Paper
Weekend Alternative Photography Workshop Umbria, a course on Wet Plate Collodion and Salted Paper Printing, which takes place in Città di Castello, Tiber Valley, Umbria, Italy.
A two-days full-immersion hands-on workshop to be held in the Umbrian Tiber Valley, during which you will practice the wet plate collodion photography and the salted paper printing process on your own. NO DIGITAL, only chemical photography, true 1800s way.
Every student (max 6) will operate on a 9×12 cm to 18×24 cm camera to make some shots per day each, and get some salt prints to be made during the last day of workshop.
You will go back home with at least some good tintypes, some glass negatives and good salt prints.
This workshop of alternative photographic processes will also deliver a know-how to work with a portable darkroom for field wet-plate collodion photography. You will also challenge yourself with studio lighting for indoor portraiture photography.
What will you learn at the end of these two-days alternative processes workshop in Umbria?
You will learn true antique photography. We will study wet plate collodion first, because that’s the means for to make original glass negatives, the ones in use in the XIX century for to make prints on salted papers. We are not going to use any digital technique, nor inkjet printing nor Photoshop for this process. Everything will be carried out in the original manner as our pioneer photographers did in the 1800s.
During the last day you will learn how to prepare good negatives suitable for the salt paper printing technique and you will make some salt prints from scratches.
At the end of this program on wet plate collodion photography you will have acquired notions on use of chemicals, formulas for wet plate collodion, safety measures to handle chemicals and materials, procedures for preparing wet plates on your own and to get them developed and fully finished.
With the studio and field photography program you will understand the necessary gears for to carry out wet plate collodion indoor and how to make a portable darkroom on your own for to carry out the same technique in the field.
Materials to bring with you for personal use
All materials and equipment needed are provided with the course fee. Students should arrive with:
- consider bringing a proper dressing for to protect yourself from staining (also shoes are at staining risk, consider a shoe change for to work safely);
- wear protective clear glasses for to keep your eyes safe while working with certain chemicals in the darkroom;
- bring a box of disposable PVC or butyl gloves of your size for to handle chemicals during the three days processes;
Accommodation is up to each participant. B&B, country houses, hotels are available nearby the workshop location. Ask us for more information.
This alternative process workshop is managed by the guys at TheDarkroom Academy. When you click the button ‘Register” a redirection to thedarkroom.it website for to complete registration will occur. Complete course details, including materials and accommodation are described there.
Program of the three-days Wet Plate Collodion Photography Workshop Umbria
- Meeting and the premise at 9:30 for starting the course
- Collodion, what’s this unknown and old photographic process
- theory and formulas for wet plate collodion
- wet plate cameras, modern and vintage, and to the use of the portable darkroom
- chemistry preparation
- shooting with tintypes and ambrotypes in the studio and in outdoor
- how to use flash light for studio photography
- salted paper preparation, first phase, coating and base preparation
Everybody are free for dinner and accommodation
- Meeting and the premise at 9:30 for continuing the course
- shooting in outdoor with wet plates and portable darkroom
- making of ambrotypes (glass negatives)
- fine tuning glass negatives for salt paper printing with intensification and redevelopment
- printing out glass negatives on salted paper
- salted paper processing and finishing of prints
- final feedback and greetings
Applications open on thedarkroom.it website (available only on the Italian language site)
This alternative process workshop is managed by the guys at TheDarkroom Academy. When you click the button ‘Register” a redirection to thedarkroom.it website for to complete registration will occur. More information on this program are available there. Click with confidence.
Please message me for any inquiry. Thanks.